Testimonials View More
“Dan Schwartz does a good job for us. Please send him on our calls when you can. We enjoy him and he really taught me some things about our card reader that I did not know.”
Eileen Anderson Benedictine Health Center at Innsbruck
Recent Projects View More
Treasure Island Hotel Expansion and Remodel
Summit Companies has been awarded the fire protection contract for the new Treasure Island 300 room hotel expansion, continuing our successful partnership with Knutson Construction. In addition to the 8 story hotel room expansion the project also includes a complete renovation of the hotel check-in lobby, a renovation of their current laundry facility, and renovations to various areas of their casino.Read more about this project
Smoke Management Design, Guidance & Inspections
We design and report on smoke management system requirements for:
- High-rise Buildings
- Covered Malls
- Underground Buildings
- Storage Warehouses
We determine performance criteria for smoke management systems:
- Exhaust (cfm)
- Make-Up Air (ft/min)
- Minimum Pressure Differential (in. H2O)
- Maximum Door-Pull Measurement (lb),
- Response Time (seconds)
This allows us to formulate or review the proper sequence of operations.
Next, we specify special equipment requirements for smoke management components to comply with code including:
- Temperature ratings for fan motors
- Number of fan belts
- Conduit requirements
- Standby power
- Manual controls at Smoke Control Panel (SCP)
- Status monitoring by fire alarm system
- Provide Special Inspection or Testing Agent services during construction, prior to Certificate of Occupancy.
- Act as a liaison for the Owner/design team with the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to present and acquire approval of the smoke management design concepts.
- Provide written review of electrical shop drawings to verify compliance with code, design, and Owner requirements.
- Provide design or approval by Professional Engineer (PE) in fire protection engineering.
- Coordination between various trades involved in both design (i.e. Electrical Engineers, Architects, etc.) and installation (i.e. Electrical Contractor, Fire Alarm Contractor, Fire Sprinkler Contractor, General Contractor, etc.) of the smoke management systems
Smoke Management Design Involvement
Depending on specific project and client needs, Summit Fire Consulting can be involved during Schematic Design and Design Development only, providing cursory design guidance; or, we can be involved during the entire project:
- Schematic Design
- Design Development
- Construction Documents
- Construction Administration
Summit Fire Consulting Sample Projects
We worked on the Science Teaching & Student Services Center at the University of Minnesota. We were originally hired by HGA Architecture to provide design guidance for the atrium smoke control system. Through that process, we developed, presented, and documented the smoke control design concepts to the University Building Code Division for approval.
Summit Fire Consulting was subsequently hired by Hines to provide Special Inspection services for the atrium smoke control system. Through the Special Inspection process, we coordinated the efforts of multiple subcontractors to ultimately receive approval of the installed smoke control system and a Certificate of Occupancy.
Summit Fire Consulting was also hired by the Minnesota Twins to provide Special Inspection services for the smoke control systems at the new Target Field. The overall smoke management designs included seven smoke control zones. Summit Fire Consulting acted as a liaison between the project team (i.e. General Contractor, Architect, and Engineer) and the City of Minneapolis code officials.