Testimonials View More
“It has always been a pleasure to deal with the folks at Summit Fire Protection. Their responsiveness and attentiveness to customers continues to amaze me with their proficiency, timeliness, and attention to detail. We at US Bank look forward to a long term relationship with Summit and continued service by them on all of our contractual accounts. Facility Chief Associate Engineer Fortune 200 Financial Institution ”
Facility Chief Associate Engineer Fortune 200 Financial Institution
Recent Projects View More
Public Safety Training Facility – St. Paul, MN
Summit Companies was the successful bidder in providing Amerex fire extinguishers and Larsen’s all aluminum extinguisher cabinets to Market & Johnson Inc. for the new Public Safety Training Facility for the St. Paul Police Department project in St. Paul, MN. This project will feature Larsen’s both fire-rated & non-fire rated cabinets with clear anodized finishes.Read more about this project
Smoke Management Design, Guidance & Inspections
We design and report on smoke management system requirements for:
- High-rise Buildings
- Covered Malls
- Underground Buildings
- Storage Warehouses
We determine performance criteria for smoke management systems:
- Exhaust (cfm)
- Make-Up Air (ft/min)
- Minimum Pressure Differential (in. H2O)
- Maximum Door-Pull Measurement (lb),
- Response Time (seconds)
This allows us to formulate or review the proper sequence of operations.
Next, we specify special equipment requirements for smoke management components to comply with code including:
- Temperature ratings for fan motors
- Number of fan belts
- Conduit requirements
- Standby power
- Manual controls at Smoke Control Panel (SCP)
- Status monitoring by fire alarm system
- Provide Special Inspection or Testing Agent services during construction, prior to Certificate of Occupancy.
- Act as a liaison for the Owner/design team with the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to present and acquire approval of the smoke management design concepts.
- Provide written review of electrical shop drawings to verify compliance with code, design, and Owner requirements.
- Provide design or approval by Professional Engineer (PE) in fire protection engineering.
- Coordination between various trades involved in both design (i.e. Electrical Engineers, Architects, etc.) and installation (i.e. Electrical Contractor, Fire Alarm Contractor, Fire Sprinkler Contractor, General Contractor, etc.) of the smoke management systems
Smoke Management Design Involvement
Depending on specific project and client needs, Summit Fire Consulting can be involved during Schematic Design and Design Development only, providing cursory design guidance; or, we can be involved during the entire project:
- Schematic Design
- Design Development
- Construction Documents
- Construction Administration
Summit Fire Consulting Sample Projects
We worked on the Science Teaching & Student Services Center at the University of Minnesota. We were originally hired by HGA Architecture to provide design guidance for the atrium smoke control system. Through that process, we developed, presented, and documented the smoke control design concepts to the University Building Code Division for approval.
Summit Fire Consulting was subsequently hired by Hines to provide Special Inspection services for the atrium smoke control system. Through the Special Inspection process, we coordinated the efforts of multiple subcontractors to ultimately receive approval of the installed smoke control system and a Certificate of Occupancy.
Summit Fire Consulting was also hired by the Minnesota Twins to provide Special Inspection services for the smoke control systems at the new Target Field. The overall smoke management designs included seven smoke control zones. Summit Fire Consulting acted as a liaison between the project team (i.e. General Contractor, Architect, and Engineer) and the City of Minneapolis code officials.